UNPRECEDENTED GROWTH IN ALBERTA HAS CREATED A VIBRANT ECONOMY, BUT IT HAS ALSO PLACED A TREMENDOUS STRAIN ON THE FOREST, GRASSLAND AND RIVERS WHICH HELP TO SUSTAIN THAT GROWTH.
The Alberta Tomorrow simulator is an educational tool that helps you to understand the process of sustainable planning to balance land-uses such as agriculture, oil and gas and forestry with ecological integrity. By looking at past and present landscape imagery, you will be able to see changes that have taken place in the past. You can also collect, geotag and save water sampling data, images, video and other observations.
Now set some goals and design a future for Alberta that you want to see!
Looking for the classic version of Alberta Tomorrow? Please click here to go to beta.albertatomorrow.ca
Add Excitement To Your Classroom With Free Lesson Plans and Online Tools
Alberta Tomorrow is a FREE educational tool that has been developed to for use with junior high, high school and university and college curricula.
Using Alberta Tomorrow, you and your students can:
- View videos and discover the potential benefits and impacts of different land-uses and land-use practices in Alberta
- Improve your understanding of Alberta’ ecosystems and environmental resources
- See what’s happened in your area in the last century, and see what it might look like 30 years from now
- Develop your own plan for Alberta’s future
- Track and share water quality and land-use observations with other classes throughout Alberta
- Create and submit reports with project findings
COURSE & CURRICULUM OBJECTIVES
Lesson plans are currently available for:
Interactions & ecosystems
Social Studies 9
Issues for Canadians
Energy and matter exchange in the biosphere
Junior High Outdoor & Environmental Education
Interactions & ecosystems
University Biology & Ecology 100 and 200 level courses
EXTRA TOOLS FOR TEACHERS
In addition, registering for Alberta Tomorrow as a teacher gives you access to:
- Teacher resources including lesson plans and videos
- Control panel interface to manage your students and class observations
TRY IT NOW
"Alberta Tomorrow gives my students real life exposure to real life decisions...all at their fingertips. Thank you for enriching my students learning environment." - Stephanie Bennett, Biology Teacher
ABOUT ALBERTA TOMORROW
Alberta Tomorrow was originally created in 2005 by Matthew Carlson and Dr. Brad Stelfox of the ALCES group. Since then, Alberta Tomorrow has been used extensively by teachers and students throughout Alberta.
Alberta Tomorrow is critically reviewed and bias neutral. The continued development has been overseen by a steering committee comprised of representatives of industry, non-profits and government. The application is:
- peer reviewed by qualified scientists,
- endorsed by environmentally focused non-profit organizations, industry and government, and
- teacher tested!
The Alberta Tomorrow program is overseen by the Alberta Tomorrow Foundation. The Alberta Tomorrow Foundation is a registered charity in Canada. Alberta Tomorrow's board of directors is served by representatives from education, non-profit, government and industry sectors.
We are grateful to the Alberta Tomorrow sponsors for making Alberta Tomorrow possible.